A May 25, 2011 conference in London will bring together true industry leaders and legal thought leaders, including Justice Jackson. The agenda and registration are here for Maximising Opportunities in Litigation Funding.
Justice Jackson authored the leading report for the UK on litigation costs and funding. Background materials are here, as are links to the paper. Panel members will include Selvyn Seidel, a leader in this field.
The conference agenda is pasted below.
09:20 - 09:25 Chair’s opening remarks
- Jackson review: recommendations on third party funding
- What is the interaction between access to justice and third party funding?
- Considerations when accessing funding
- What funding options are available?
- What provisions should you expect to find in funding agreements?
- How to make use of funding to maximise fee income for your practice
10:45 - 11:00 Coffee
- David v Goliath – access to justice for SMEs
- Risk sharing
- Aggregating claims
Christian Stuerwald, Head of Underwriting, Calunius Capital LLP
Leslie Perrin, Chairman, Calunius Capital LLP
- Current issues and major developments
- Assessing the impact of Campbell v MGN
- Implications of ending the recoverability of success fees
- What does the future hold?
12:30 - 13:30 Lunch
- Potential risks for solicitors
- Eligibility requirements
- Interaction with third party funders
- When can contingency fees be used?
- The Ontario model
- Contingency fees vs. third party funding
- What are the implications of contingency agreements as a funding option?
- Funding investor-state arbitration
- Differences in risk profiles between arbitration and litigation
- Overview of arbitration funding
- Contingency fees in arbitration
15:20 - 15:35 Afternoon Tea
- Litigation funding and forum selection in Europe
- The Dutch model
- The German model
- Future trends in Europe
Rob Murray, Partner, Crowell & Moring LLP
Pierre Bos, Partner, BarentsKrans
Till Schreiber, Legal Counsel, Cartel Damage Claims
- How is the market going forward?
- What are the investment opportunities?
- Can third party funding be extended to the high-street?
Ross Clark, Underwriting Director, Firstassist Legal Expenses Insurance Limited
Selvyn Seidel, Chairman and Co-Founder, FULBROOK MANAGEMENT LLC
17:00 - 17:10 Chair’s closing remarks